Latest version: 18.104.22.168 as of 01-04-2019
22.214.171.124 as of 01-04-2019
- New columns "albumartist" and "tracknumber"
- Playlists in PLS format can be imported
- New context-menu item to export selected files to a folder of your choice (right-mouse-menu)
- Modifying the comment from the right-mouse-menu allows the usage if placeholders.
Hidden feature: When holding down the Ctrl-Key while selecting the menu, the comment will be set 1:1 to the given value
- Bugfix: The format of "duration / actual duration" when performing a CSV export was wrong
126.96.36.199 as of 06-30-2018
- New column "year"
- The wrong file was focused sometimes after deleting a file
- MacOS only: Files will only be deleted to the recyclebin.
188.8.131.52 as of 04-14-2018
Just a very small update:
The userdefined actions allow the new placeholders $frequency, $realbitrate, $samplerate, $bitrate, $bps, to enable access to the information about max. frequence, the estimated (real) bitrate, the samplerate, the claimed bitrate, the samplerate and bits per sample.
In addition there was missing an error dialog when manually tagging a file with these user-actions failed (e.g. because the file is write protected). This is fixed in this version.
184.108.40.206 - 04-09-2018
- New columns CONDUCTOR and COMPOSER are available in the listview. Rescan / refresh required
- Refresh directories: Define in the settings dialog which files should be reanalyzed:
* Only if filesize or filedate changed
* Only if the MD5 checksum changed
- Support for calculating replaygain (use right mouse menu!), new columns TrackGain and ReplayGain available
- The userdefined actions allow specifying any executable to run (windows only) like:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag\mp3tag.exe "$filename"
- There are now 8 instead of 4 userdefinable buttons
- You can execute manual tagging by using this comandline for the tags comment, composer, conductor, genre, artist, album and title:
- tag:[set|append|prepend] [artist|album|title|genre|comment|conductor|composer] <value>
* tag:set comment FAKE ==> Set comment tag to FAKE
* tag:append title :FAKE ==> Append the text :FAKE to the end of the title
* tag:prepend genre FAKE: ==> Prepend the text FAKE: at the beginning of the genre tag
- The option "Report fakes above 256 kbps" was replaced by "Allow cutoffs above xxx Hz. The settings will be adjusted automatically.
You can safely play around with this new option; it will not require a rescan of the files but adjust the results "on the fly"
To get the same results as with the old option CHECKED, make sure that the new checkbox is UNCHECKED (the value is meaningless in this case).
To get the same results as with the old option UNCHECKED, set the value to 19400 Hz and make sure the new checkbox is CHECKED.
- Improved analysis process will estimate better bitrates
- New Option "Frequency spectrum font size" to adjust the font for the spectrum
- New option "Show summary dialog after analyzing files" to suppres that messagebox
- Spectrum will contain the claimed bitrate in  after the filename in the header, in addition samplerate and bits per sample
- MacOS only: Files containig special characters like * and ? (invalid for Windows) will be skipped, because they made "Fakin' the Funk?" to crash occasionally
220.127.116.11 - 09-10-2017
- Added COMMENT-tag and SAMPLERATE and BITSPERSAMPLE to listview. A reimport/refresh of the files would be necessary to see the current values
- Support of 24-Bit files including samplerates > 96000 Hz
- Added "search and replace" feature (Ctrl+R) for the fields Artist, Album, Title, Comment, Genre, Filename
This works for all shown songs or only for the selected ones, if more than one is selected. The number of songs that will be affected by this operation is shown in the bottom of that dialog :)
- UNDO-Feature (Ctrl+Z) for the renaming feature is available!
- Overwrite a specific file by simply drag&drop the newer version from the explorer exactly ONTO the desired file. "Fakin' The Funk?" will ask you if you want to replace the file. By holding down the SHIFT key, this dialog can be suppressed. By holding down the CTRL key, the file will be MOVED to the new location (otherwise copied).
- Added right-mouse-menu "Rename files" so you can...
...insert the actual bitrate to all selected filenames (also for files that are marked as OK)
...insert the fake bitrate to all selected filenames (also for files that are marked as OK)
...remove all markers from selected filenames
...add text to the beginning (or end) of the comment-tag
- Added toolbar-icons to search the focused song on Amazon, iTunes, Beatport
Note: After downloading the better version, you can simply drag&drop it ON the old file to replace it (see above)!!
- Added user-configurable buttons to search on any website you want (see settings-dialog)
- Added clipping detection (has to be activated in the settings-dialog; it is disabled by default)
You can define a tolerance level: If less than the given amount of frames are clipping *IN A ROW*, then this file will not be marked as clipped. This is done because if only few frames are clipping, this is normally not noticeable. Can be deactivated by setting this tolerance to 0
- Added commandline-support to display frequency-spectrum:
"fakinthefunk.exe /s=filename" will display the spectrum of the given file without having to import it
"fakinthefunk.exe filename1 [filename2] [filename3] [...]" will import the file(s) to the database
- Sort-order will take into account the user locale
- The treeview will automatically focus the last folder on startup
- Delete folders in the treeview is supported
- Fixed bug in "Refresh folder": Deleted files/folders were not removed from the database
- Fixed bug that the column order was not restored properly in some cases after restarting Fakin' The Funk?
- Added polish translation (thanks to Filip Gil)
Only MacOS (Linux)
- The database will no longer be stored inside the WINE wrapper. Instead, it will be located in your /Users/<username>/FakinTheFunk - directory. This way, your database will survive all upcoming updates :)
- The right mouse menu "Open with Finder" will now open the native Finder-app and no longer the internal WINE-browser.
- Optimized rendering of the UI for MacOS
18.104.22.168 - 07-29-2017
- Mac-version only: Drag&Drop from the Finder to Fakin' The Funk? did not work; in addition, strange icons were drawn on the border
22.214.171.124 - 07-23-2017
- Batch-save frequency-spectrums by using the right-mouse key over selected files in the listview or entire nodes from the treeview
- Export selected files (or entire folder nodes) to a CSV or TEXT file (context popup menu for tree- and listview)
- Edit ID-tags for artist, album, title, genre and filename directly in the listview (works for multiselected files, too). The changes will be applied to the musicfiles immediately
- Options to enhance the replay-feature in the (refactored) settings dialog: You can define whether or not to use the crossfading feature, and if you want to play the next track automatically
- Shortcuts for Play/Pause (Ctrl+P), Stop (Ctrl+Space), Next song (Ctrl+N or Alt-Right), Previous song (Ctrl+L or Alt-Left)
- Adjusted colors for red/green/yellow when using a light theme
126.96.36.199 - 05-29-2017
Changes in this version:
- Reporting fakes above 256 kbps can be activated / deactivated in the settings dialog
(Detection of fakes above 256 kbps was deactivated by default in version 188.8.131.52)
- Playlists can be saved in MacOS / Linux format. In addition, you can define the encoding (UTF-8, UTF-16 or ANSI) --> see settings-dialog.
- Songs containing longer part of silence can be reported as "corrupted" (see settings dialog). It is required to activate the "analyze entire file" option in case you want to scan the whole file for such breaks. This will slow down the analysis process significantly.
- You can manually mark fakes or corrupted files as "OK" by using the right-mouse key in the listview (also possible by using the shortcut CTRL+O).
Resetting the state to default is possible by using the right-mouse-click again (or holding down the SHIFT-key when right-click in case you have selected a bunch of files) - or using the shortcut SHIFT+CTRL+O
Changes concerning Mac and Linux
- Switched the order of OK- and Cancel-button
- Improved styling
184.108.40.206 - 04-19-2017
Fakin' the Funk? runs now on Mac and Lunix (using WINE).
For Mac, we've created an installer package that installs all the necessary things in one batch.
In case that the Mac-security blocks it to open, just go to: Apple-icon > System preferences - Security & Privacy > Open anyway.
For Linux, there is an installer script that will help you to get it running with PlayOnLunix.
Changes in this version:
- When search is active, the displayed "number of files" will refer to the matching files (previously it showed always the number of existing files, disregarding the applied filter)
- Updated french translations
Changes to the analyis process (requires re-importing the files):
- If the actual bitrate is greater than 256, files will no longer be reported as fake
This is done because it is hard to spot the differences in the frequency-spectrum for those high-quality files.
Since even audiophile people cannot distinguish between 256 bps and 320 kbps, reporting such "fakes" will only confuse people but does not really help.
- If the actual bitrate is greater than 192, files will only be reoported as fake if the difference is > 30 kbps
This is done for the same purpose as stated above. Files with a bitrate > 192 are already high-quality ones.
So if there is only a slight difference, this is not noticeable to the users.
Changes concerning Mac and Linux
- Detect if "Fakin' The Funk?" is running under WINE and do some special handlings in this case
- Changed the player buttons so they look good in all platforms
- Detect the screen resolution on installation and set the default width and height for the precalculated frequency-spectrums accordingly
220.127.116.11 - 03/12/2017
Improved analysis: Detection of bitrate is more accurate:
- Some more files are identified as "fake"
- Some less false positives
- Detection for VBR encoded files is MUCH better
New columns in listview
- File type
New menu items in popupmenu for listview
- Refresh selected files: Possibility to re-read only the selected files (previously you could only refresh entire folders in the treeview)
- Save to playlist: The *selected* files will be exported to a playlist
- Remove from database (says it all)
- Show freqency-spectrum
- Open with windows explorer (opens the focused folder)
- The source folder is now a "dropdown" box so you can pick one of the last used folders easily
- New option to save the files to a playlist of your choice
- Right-Mouse context menu to
- Open the spectrum in external viewer
- Zoom the image to its original size
- Recalculate the spectrum (F5)
- Show bitrate informatiojn (see below)
- Select a different colorschema (see below)
- Doubleclick the image to open it in the external viewer
- Undock" icon in the upper-right corner to open it in external viewer
- Info"-Icon to toogle to show bitrate information or not (see below)
- Select colorschema: Use one of the predefined ones or create your own!
- The trigger-levels for 128, 160, 192, 256 and 320 kps can be shown in the spectrum as "circles" incl. label. A white line is drawn over the spectrum showing the "densitiy" of the frequencies.
- New option to selelect the resolution of the frequency spectrum
- New option "aggressive mode". As the name says, it is more aggressvie and might detect more files as fake, especially "Fraunhofer" encodes mp3 files as "fake"
- New options "clear database at startup" & "clear database on drag&drop" (similar to mp3tag)
- New button to select the colorschema
- New search-bar in the toolbar to search for tracks, filnames an so on, see http://forum.fakinthefunk.net/Tipps-for-optimizing-search-results-td6.html
- Support for searching in filenames only (prefix "filename:") and filenames incl. path (prefix "filepath:")
- "opus" files: The bitrate was not imported
- When refreshing the list (F5), the horizontal scrollbar was always resetted to "left"
- Refreshing folders sometimes did not refresh all files (also when using dnd to import files from different folders at once)
- Shortcut "Ctrl+F5" was always german
- Save dialog: Moving files to a folder only moved the first one
- Better exception handling
- Importing playlists will import all files contained in that playlist
- Import-files-dialog will automatically popup only once
18.104.22.168 - 02/17/2017
- Update link to unlock the free-version
22.214.171.124 - 02/10/2017
- Optimized the computation of the actual bitrate for Fraunhofer-encoded MP3 files
- Progressbar got mixed up when keeping the frequency-spectrum window visible and scrolling through the files quickly
126.96.36.199 - 02/05/2017
- Fixed bug in date-calculation for webservice requests
188.8.131.52 - 01/18/2017
- First official release